Sunday, March 18, 2012

Piracy on the palatine raphe

Down by the laundry room are various bookcases (mostly discards from when people moved or replaced furniture; one of them was mine, actually, but didn't fit into the apartment when we settled in), & there the building has an informal book exchange.  Friday morning the engineer brought up a paperback that he thought I'd like -- it was a mystery, which I sometimes do read, featuring dogs, always a plus, & when trying to fall asleep, I will read almost anything. 

I should have stopped after the author credited a romance writers' group for their support.  But then I would not have read about someone who kissed the main character & then continued to "plunder her mouth."  What the hell was he doing, stealing her fillings? 

 After three legal marriages & a good many informal liaisons, I am baffled.  What am I doing wrong that no one has plundered my mouth?  And how would anyone accomplish that?  Would I be as pleased about it as this heroine?  Had she hidden her jewelry in there, or her wallet?

From a quick skim of the rest, I gathered that the prose style & plot throughout ranged from breathless to downright bizarre (dogs also spoke to the heroine telepathically, & something about her own dog's lines made me picture Karl Malden), but I think -- I hope -- that no one actually made it into bed.  Because I really don't want to know what a man who plunders your mouth does to the rest of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment